Thursday, May 10, 2012

On Marriage

Well, firstly, seeing as I've never been married, this is going to really, really make some people mad. But lets get something straight- I DO NOT CARE. I've sat on this belief long enough and I feel like it's time to get it out there. Especially with what happened in North Carolina yesterday.

I'm in  a relationship, a long term one. Michael and I have been together for the better part of five years, and no, we aren't married. We just aren't ready. It doesn't have anything to do with how much I love him, because I love him dearly, and I couldn't ever imagine my life without him. I don't need a big ceremony or a piece of paper to tell me how much I love someone. Because when it boils right down to it, it's nothing more than a piece of paper. I'm really, really tired of self-righteous people who think that they can judge my relationship and our actions, just because we aren't married. We've been together four and a half years. Get off your high horse.

People judge my relationship a lot based on it's length without marriage; I've had a lot of people say that we aren't committed to each other. Five years without a single break up proves commitment. And when it boils down to it, that's what love is, what marriage is. Committing your life to another human being no matter what happens.

I'm beginning to think the entire institution of marriage is nothing but a joke. A big, fat joke. I think it'st a joke how two people who don't even know each other- and I don't give a crap what anyone says- you can't truly know somebody in six months; can run off and get a marriage liscence. This is why a whopping 56% of first marriages end in divorce. The percentages rise for second and third marriages. Kim Kardashian can be married for 57 days and no one thinks there's something wrong with that? What a joke. 

Same-sex couples who have been together for years, or decades can't get married? Haven't they proved their commitment to each other? Isn't that, when it boils down to it, what marriage is? Making a commitment to another human being? To promise your life to another human being no matter what happens? But no, we regulate commitment on whether or not the people have different genitalia. I'll say it again. What a joke. 

What does this say about our society? The fact that we endorse heterosexual marriages that will indefinitely end in divorce? But not homosexual couples that truly have proved their commitment? 

This is truly and utterly pathetic and disgusting. 

It's nothing but a piece of paper. A piece of paper that everyone should get to have.  
 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with what you are saying but for me looking at getting married is committing myself before God to be with one man for the rest of my life. To me it is much more than a piece of paper its something I get to do with my husband-to-be and to tie that bond for a Godly marriage. I do agree with the same sex marriage. It is way to crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that I am saying is that I do not need a piece of paper, a pastor, a group of people, a dress, or anything or anyone telling me how much I love Michael. I can be committed without being married.

      Delete