Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Percy, Harry, Katniss

Anyone who knows me knows I love, love, love to read. I love the thrill of finding a new series. When I read a series that I love- such as Harry Potter, Percy Jackson & The Olympians and the continuation of it, The Heroes of Olympus and The Hunger Games, I get really attached to the characters. Reading is my only escape from everyday life- when I'm entranced with Katniss and Peeta or infuriated at Umbridge, I don't have to think about anything. I don't have a bad life, don't get me wrong, but it is such a relief to escape into a world that's entirely make believe.

I tend to favor fantasy books, obviously. Something about the magic (no pun intended) of them always keeps me invested.

I love that Percy is brave and reckless and that he's fiercely loyal to his Annabeth, to Grover, to Thalia, and to his mother. He is dedicated and protects his father, Poseidon. Even though Poseidon wasn't there for him growing up, Percy loves his father- and does everything that he can to protect him from the titan lord, Kronos. His family and his friends mean more to him than anything. Percy is loyal- he's the friend that everybody wished that they had.


I love that Katniss has such a will to survive, and to protect her beloved from harm, without being sappy, and disgusting (I'm looking at you, Stephenie Meyer). Katniss is a strong woman and she finally gives into love- when she realizes that Peeta is the only person for her. Katniss and Peeta are such a stronger, more beautiful couple than any sparkly vampire could ever convey. They are the epitome of I'll love you through anything. And that's the most important quality in any sort of love, for me.

Harry, my Harry. I don't know what I would do without him. I can't really talk about without a lot of raw emotions popping up. Harry showed me what it was like to stand up for what you believed in, and who you loved. Ron showed me the importance of not taking myself too siriusly....(ha, ha) and Hermione showed me that it's okay to be smart. You many not have everyone, but you'll have some one who will love you and befriend you. Sirius showed me that it's alright to take a walk on the wild side. Ginny showed me how to not give up on someone you loved. Fred and George taught me anything is possible if you've got enough nerve.

When I read a series, I get attached. I get attached to the characters. They are there when I need them, and shut away when I don't. I'm so happy that I have a love of reading. My life wouldn't be the same without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment